zaterdag 22 januari 2011

Chile tourists 'held hostage' by protesters

World news
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/18/chile-tourists-hostage-protesters
Jan 18th 2011 by The Guardian | UK

Due to the protest against the fuel subsidies, tourists do not see another way but to escape to the airport, on foot with all their luggage, in an attempt to get home. Strikers are not only blocking roads as a protest, but set tires on fire as well. If you look at the picture you can see that those fires are really big. Some of the tourists say that they feel like hostages, and the protesters do indeed try to keep them like that.

It is a complete mess in southern Chile. The tourists can leave if they want, but in such a bad conditions that many of them are afraid to leave. The hotels are all full and their best option is to walk all the way to the Argentina border, but this is not without danger. They may end up in the middle of nowhere. When I read this kind of stories I am so glad that I am sitting on my couch with my family, nice and warm. I would not want to go there for a thousand euros.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten